Best things come in small package.” And this holds true for the beautiful picturesque state of Sikkim. Being the second smallest state of India, it stands out tall in its prismatic scenic beauty.
The gateway to the North-Eastern corridor of India, Sikkim offers a lot more than scenic beauty. There is a never ending list of things to do. Well, let’s make the task a little easier for you by giving the best places to visit and the best things to do to make this a blissful holiday.
Fairs & Festivals
- Several festivals are celebrated in Gangtok and its adjoining areas.
- The Buddhist festival of Bumchu is held in the Tashiding Gompa during January.
- The festival of Chaam is held in Enchey Gompa during January-February and is marked by dancing.
- Kagyat Dance is a mask dance held every month at Gangtok, Pemayangtse and Phodong.
- Losar marks the Tibetan New Year and is celebrated during February-March at Pemayangtse and Rumtek.
- Tse Chu is a Buddhist dance held in May at Rumtek.
- Saga Dawa, held in Gangtok during May, and Drukpa Teshi, celebrated statewide during July, mark Buddha’s first teaching.
- Phang Lhabsol is a mask dance celebrated statewide during August.
- Dasain, celebrated statewide during September-October, is marked by gift swapping and animal sacrifice.
Best Time to Visit Sikkim
summer – From April till June
In summers Sikkim stays pleasant and lovely. The temperature stays between 5 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius. Nights of the summers can be chilling, so it is advised to pack in some woolen clothes as well. This is the best time to visit Sikkim’s Gurudongmar Lake, Yumthang Valley, Rumtek Monastery and others.
Monsoon – From July till September
Sikkim faces average to heavy rainfall, causing the temperature to fall. The whole aura stays pleasant and chilling. Range of temperature during this season is 4-15 degrees Celsius. The area at this time is prone to landslides. But you can get affordable rooms and less crowded tourist destinations.
winter – From October till March
Winter too is a best time to visit Sikkim. If you want to experience snow, then you must visit Sikkim in winters. Temperature in this season stays between -5 degrees Celsius to 7 degrees.